12 July 2012

Thursday Morning Thoughts

The weather here has been much like it was before our recent vacation: cloudy with showers. After five days of sun & mid-80s, it's a little tough to settle in to the ol' clouds & damp routine ... but we're tough; we can take it. :)


There was an article in yesterday's Daily News & Fishwrap about APD's policy on lethal force, after the po-po have gunned down several locals who were threatening them with things like a broomstick & a BB pistol. (To be fair, the BB gun was all-but-indistinguishable from the M&P pistol it was a copy of, and didn't appear to have the orange muzzle that would have set it apart. Perhaps it's unfair to consider that particular case.) But there have been quite a few deaths-by-cop over the last year, and the public is growing quite uneasy.

I wonder why.

So the police chief was quoted yesterday as saying that APD has a "shoot to stop" policy, and not "shoot to kill". He did admit that most of the folks whom they shoot then go on to die. So apparently, it's our fault as to be so fragile. Read it & judge for yourself.



A former State lawmaker was killed in a float-plane accident, yesterday. The Cessna 206 was attempting to land at Beluga Lake in Homer, Alaska, when - according to a witness - unusually strong wind gusts may have flipped the plane upside-down. The pilot and three other passengers survived.


That's all I've got, this a.m.  Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Keads said...

Glad you made it home ok!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Heh, mention those old clouds n' damp to half the country right now, and you'd get far more envious noises than for the sun.

Personally, I have absolutely no issue with the "shoot to stop" policy - because you're taking people who don't shoot very often (most police shoot for requals, and that's it), in a high-stress, high-adrenaline situation with moving officer and moving target. We get reports from NYC of cops firing over a hundred rounds and barely injuring the intended target, and now people want the cops to try for trick shots?

(Besides, if it were a "shoot to kill" policy, every encounter would end with a death, not two so far this year. An important point, there.)

No, I have no issue with their policy on shooting center mass once the gun clears the holster. Where I want more scrutiny and rational judgement is on the departmental culture, transparency, policies, procedures, accountability, and trust (both of and by the public) - these are the things that will help keep us from getting to the point where the gun clears the holster with the often mortal consequences.

Rev. Paul said...

Wing: there have been several shootings this year; I only referred to the two most recent.

I agree with your comments, for the most part, so we're on common ground; I'm merely reporting the muttering & unease that I'm hearing.

Old NFO said...

Shoot to stop is NOT a viable policy... Just sayin...

Rev. Paul said...

Old NFO: that's my point. It's like trying to shoot the pistol out of someone's hand - it only works in the movies.

DR said...

I'll have to be the dissenter. Police forces all over the country are starting to become dictoral. I am seeing way too many unarmed victims being shot or beaten senseless. The corruption and decay that has infected our federal government, in my opinion, has affected many in our police forces and they no longer serve the public, but simply enforce laws through any means they deem necessary.

I am no Pollyanna when it comes to crime, but our God given rights are exactly that and our Constitution has to be followed. I am obliged to add the standard that it obviously isn't every cop, but is becoming an ever-increasing majority.

Also, slightly off topice, but I think it is ridiculous that the military is provide used equipment to law enforcement up to, and including, drones and APC's. The United States is starting to become a prison and I did not serve years in uniform so that some bureaucrat can act like a dictator.

Rev. Paul said...

DR - that's why I brought it up. There have been nearly a dozen people shot & killed by the local police or State Troopers in the last year, just in this part of the state.

I, too, am greatly concerned at the militarism on display. One local patrolman wears so much tactical gear on his vest & belt, I wanted to ask, "When do you ship out for the sandbox?"