06 May 2015

God's Word for Wednesday

Hear me, O God, when I cry;
    listen to my prayer.
You are the One I will call when pushed to the edge,
    when my heart is faint.
    Shoulder me to the rock above me.

For You are my protection,
    an impenetrable fortress from my enemies.
Let me live in Your sanctuary forever;
    let me find safety in the shadow of Your wings.
(Psalm 61, verses 1 through 4) 



But what does "in the shadow of Your wings" mean?

I'm glad you asked.

When King David brought the Ark of the Covenant (you know, the one in the Indiana Jones movie) to Jerusalem, he put it in a large tent in the center of town.

No one was allowed to touch the Ark; it had to be carried on poles, and could not be profaned by the touch of sinful human hands. It was God's seat - literally - at the time, and He is totally pure and holy. No sinful human could touch it without dying. 

But David discovered that when the sun was shining through the sides of the tent, the wings of the cherubim on the lid cast a shadow on the floor. He could stay in the presence of God by getting as close as that shadow.

He literally stayed in the shadow of God's wings. As Psalm 91 says, 

He who takes refuge in the shelter of the Most High will be safe in the shadow of the Almighty.
Like a bird protecting its young, God will cover you with His feathers, will protect you under His great wings; His faithfulness will form a shield around you, a rock-solid wall to protect you. 
(verses 1 and 4)

NOTHING can touch you while you stay in His presence!

I think that's a lesson we all need to learn again.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

How comforting it is to know this. I often need to be reminded, especially when our future is uncertain at best.

Rev. Paul said...

I'm right there with you, ma'am. That's why I'm reminding myself, too.

threecollie said...

What a sweet and much needed lesson. Thank you

Rev. Paul said...

You're welcome, ma'am. Glad it helped. :)

Sandy Livesay said...

Rev. Paul,

Proof was last night when tornadoes rolled through. I stayed in his presence. Great post!

Rev. Paul said...

That's a great testimony, Sandy; praise God!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sir,
Do you mind if I share today's lesson with others?

Rev. Paul said...

Griz - please feel free to share with as many as you can. God's words are for ALL of us.