21 August 2015

Ammunition explodes as Hillside home burns

From the Alaska Dispatch News:
Sean Doogan, August 21, 2015
Smoke billows from a house fire near Huffman Road on Friday morning. Scott Jensen
11:30 a.m. update:
Huffman Road has been reopened, and fire officials at the scene said the home was extensively damaged.

Original story:

A garage fire in an Anchorage Hillside home detonated stored ammunition Friday morning, prompting police to close Huffman Road from Elmore Road to Birch Road.

Anchorage Fire Department spokesperson John See said the blaze was reported at 8:06 a.m. by the homeowner, who told dispatch his garage was on fire and ammunition he stored inside a safe was cooking off.

See said 21 fire units responded. Crews were still battling the fire as of 9:15 a.m., and parts of Huffman Road remained closed.

See said no one has been injured by the fire. A fire investigator was sent to the scene.


Matt said...

From the amount of ammo that has be scarfed off the shelved and hoarded the last 7 years in this country, I'm afraid this will be occurring more often from now on.

Rev. Paul said...

Matt - let's hope that folks are taking reasonable precautions with their ammo storage. Wait - we're talking people, here: we're all doomed! :)

Old NFO said...

Yeah, the ONLY time you have too much ammo is when it's on fire! :-)

Rev. Paul said...

Roger that, NFO.

Guffaw in AZ said...

People may be hurt by all that brass flying around.
The Press reports it as BULLETS, in 3...2...1...


Rev. Paul said...

It's all in one's viewpoint, of course. I see it as dollar signs. :)

drjim said...

That's the WRONG way to ammo into "Smoke and noise"!

Rev. Paul said...

Well put, sir!

ProudHillbilly said...

Sigh. All that ammo that could have been put to a much more enjoyable use.