20 January 2016

Post #5,200 - A Bit More of the Northern Lights

Regarding this morning's aurora display, I've heard that I must have seen the dimmest portion. Apparently it was a lot brighter a few minutes earlier, and then died out shortly after I saw it.

I got a few seconds of video bright enough for the iThingy to record:


and just a bit more, showing a flash of color:


but nothing really spectacular. Sorry 'bout that.

The weather's still cool, but not cold. We've had no more snow, either. There's a bit of good news, though: a sufficient amount has fallen just north of Anchorage so that the Iditarod can start in Willow (its regular launch site) rather than moving to Fairbanks.

That will make the dogs and mushers happy, being as how they won't have to make that 350 mile drive to Fairbanks overnight, after the ceremonial start in Anchorage.

But the snowfall has been spotty this winter. The Tustumena 200 Sled Dog Race has been cancelled due to a lack of snow and cold temperatures. According to the Alaska Dispatch News and Fishwrap, that's the third year in a row.

Thanks for stopping by, friends, and be blessed!

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

They can be spectacular... And always when I didn't have a camera... sigh

Rev. Paul said...

Even when I do, it's so spectacular and mesmerizing that I forget to pull the camera out.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

I do not have much of a bucket list but seeing the Northern Lights is on it.

Rev. Paul said...

TB, don't wait too long; it's a truly impressive and awe-inspiring display of God's creation. :)