14 March 2016

Monday Morning Update: Entering the Home Stretch, and Charging the Snowmachiner

From the Alaska Dispatch News:

Nulato man faces 12 charges in snowmachine collisions with Iditarod teams

Arnold Demoski, 26, appeared in Fairbanks District Court via video Sunday afternoon, charged with two felony counts of third-degree assault, as well as six counts of fifth-degree criminal mischief, three counts of reckless driving and one count of reckless endangerment.

So it would appear that the prosecutor isn't buying his "I was drunk and didn't mean to" defense. This is what I meant when I referred to the natural and legal consequences of such behavior, regardless of any repentance.


But now, some better news:
Dallas and Mitch Seavey, along with Eureka's Brent Sass, jockeyed back and forth as the Iditarod's leading mushers moved down the Seward Peninsula and into the teeth of a bitterly cold 30 mph wind on Sunday.

Follow the links to read the whole stories.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

I hope they throw the book at the idjit...

drjim said...

They can't charge him with a DUI?

I seem to remember they could nail you with a DUI on a snowmobile,or boat.

And I know they can give you a DUI for a boat here in Kommifornia....

Rev. Paul said...

NFO, I believe the prosecutor is fixin' to do just that.

Jim, DUI charges are still pending, so the prosecutor told local reporters yesterday.

Ruth said...

I was going to ask the same question, at least here in NY state a DUI is a DUI regardless of the vehicle in question.

He might be sorry, but I expect he's sorry someone he "got caught" not that he did it. Getting drunk and harassing a sled team by riding along side and spooking the dogs, maybe. Getting drunk and trying to run over multiple teams? Nope, that indicates something else going on too.....

I am glad that the authorities got him though. Public opinion on the matter was such that I was a bit worried that the public would decide for themselves who it was and someone would get lynched.

Rev. Paul said...

Ruth, the same rules apply to DUI here, too. That charge has been added now.

Re: the lynch mob ... it wouldn't be the first time.