22 December 2016

The 23rd of December

That title's about as formal as this post gets. If you were looking for something significant, today may not be your day. :)
 
I'm off my feed, literally, today. Liquid diet only, in preparation for tomorrow's unspeakable invasion of privacy. Nothing says, "Merry Christmas" like a scope up one's backside, eh? Oh, well, such is the life of those nearing senior citizen status.
 
I suppose that I am technically already there, but I'm holding onto that "not me!" mentality as long as I can. Heh.
 
* * * * *
 
There's an interesting article about trying to avoid unpleasant encounters with moose in today's daily fishwrapper.
 
Here's an excerpt:
There is no surefire way to turn an aggressive moose. Horns, flares and guns all have minimal effects. Many dog sledders are inclined to carry a pistol. Having run dogs for many years through deep snow and where the mean moose of Paxson sometimes roam, I submit that the only good use for a pistol in a dog sled is for extra weight to help balance the sled. Try getting a frozen pistol out of the sled in an emergency situation using minus-20 hands. Or try getting that .44 into action from beneath a parka and set of snowsuit bibs.
Moose injure more folks in Alaska than bears ever have. As with bears, some attacks are preventable, and some are no more than the bad luck of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bears can be nimble opponents, tough to avoid in an attack. Moose are not so quick and lack teeth.
Moose live around us the entire year. Aggressive periods are spring and fall, with spring being especially dangerous. Moose are hungry in March. The snow is deep. People are out enjoying the extended daylight and warmer temperatures. Calves are born in late May. Cows will charge potential threats from quite a distance, especially young cows with first-time calves.

10 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Rev. Paul,
The positive side to this test, you'll be all cleaned out in time for wonderful Christmas food :-) I guess you could say good planning??
This is a test I need to schedule before June myself.

Rev. Paul said...

That's certainly going to be the case. My wife's already talking about going out for dinner tomorrow. And as I sit here, sipping on a Sprite, it's making me hungry just thinking about it. :)

LindaG said...

Absolutely nothing wrong with the "not me" mentality. I do that every day!
And oh, I despise those tests. I think I am going to refuse my next one - which should be in about 7 years...

Good luck, drive safe and have a blessed weekend, all!

Rob said...

My Dr keeps asking about me experiencing that, I say pass everytime. The Swedish handshake is bad enough, and the one finger inspection.

Rev. Paul said...

Linda, I don't care what the calendar says; I'm staying young as long as I can. :)

Rob, I'm only doing it because I have to. You can trust me on this.

Old NFO said...

Yep, plenty of room for all that Christmas food! :-)

Guffaw in AZ said...

I've had FIVE, no SIX colonoscopies!
Before I was diagnosed with lymphoma, I was anemic. They thought I'd some kind of internal bleed.
And kept looking!
The good news is they put you out.

Prayers your way for all negative results.

gfa

Rev. Paul said...

Mebbe so, NFO, but I can think of better ways to prepare. :)

Thank you, Guffaw; I really appreciate that.

griz said...

Prayers lifted up, that you get a clean bill of health.
And enjoy that special dinner/time, with the better half.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, Griz. Your prayer was answered with a "So be it!", by the way. :) Merry Christmas to all yours, as well.