14 December 2017

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost



Roads go ever, ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.
.
Roads go ever, ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.
.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
.
The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

9 comments:

Vicki said...

This poem reminds me of a time when I dearly loved following a back road just to see what was over the next hill or around the next corner. Mother called it having itchy feet. Dad called it wanderlust. I called it pure bliss.

Rev. Paul said...

I understand, Vicki, and 'suffer' from the same affliction. :) I haven't indulged it as much, lately, but have always been more interested in the journey than the destination.

threecollie said...

Like!

Rev. Paul said...

I rather thought you might. :)

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

People often forget that Tolkien wrote a ton of songs in his works. Not precisely pop music types, but all very good.

Rev. Paul said...

We have lost much, when we lost the community of singing & admiration for such poetry.

Suz said...

This is one of my favorites also. And I am with you and Vicki. I used to get in the car and just "go for a drive", and get home 6-8 hours later. And no, I don't mean on a work day.:)

Old NFO said...

That's one I haven't seen in a long time!

Rev. Paul said...

Suz, going "walk-about" for a day isn't hard to do. I'm gonna have to do that again, and soon.

NFO, agreed - I came across it while scrolling through my 2009 posts. It was time to dust it off. :)