10 June 2018

Sunday: a Bit o' This and That

I only have a few days between my last midnight shift and the next one, so I'm staying on the stay up and night and sleep all day routine. Makes it a bit harder to contribute anything at all, blog-wise, but perhaps this will remedy that, a little.

Looking at Navy pictures, and talking about shipboard memories with shipmates who were contemporaries on the Wood, has brought back a couple of things.

USS William M. Wood (DD715)

Forgive me for my lazyness, but I haven't gone back through all 16 "Navy Memories" posts; does anyone recall whether I mentioned us recovering a couple of downed helicopter pilots one night? I'll be happy to write about that, if I missed it the first time 'round.

* * * * *

Yesterday was warm (for here), hitting 67° for awhile, and sunny with a mild breeze. We were able to sit out on the deck for awhile. I even had my shoes off, for a bit. It was glorious, for about an hour.


We're in the midst of the six-week period during which it never gets completely dark. I noticed this morning that it was still light enough to go for a walk at 0030. By 0200 it was gloomy, but the light returned well before 0300. The sun does set in the wee hours, but it doesn't go too far away.

Or to put it another way, you could mow the grass at midnight ... if you had VERY understanding neighbors. :)

8 comments:

LindaG said...

AlwysA enjoyed that 'skip along the horizon' view. :-)
Waiting for the 60s to find their way here, too!
Enjoy and a blessed week to you all, Reverend.

FrankC said...

Can't recall any stories about helicopters flying or downed. Go for it.

Suz said...

+1 FrankC. Besides, it is your blog, write what you want, tell the stories you want to tell...we, the readers, can go along for the ride, or wander off to someplace else.

Besides, we all have older relatives who tell us the same story over and over and over again. We either stay and listen, or wander off to get another drink...or go do the dishes.

If your neighbors can hear you mow the grass, they live too close, tell them they have to move :)

Rev. Paul said...

All - thank you for the input. I'll draft a Memories #17 in the next 24 hours or so. :)

Suz - that's funny. But I don't want to be "that guy" who's the last to arrive in the neighborhood, and then all the long-timers they're out of order. Heh.

JayNola said...

Sweet! New navy memories!

Rev. Paul said...

I'm scribbling some notes, trying to recall that entire night. Let's see what I can remember. :)

Old NFO said...

Nope, never saw that one.

Rev. Paul said...

I'm on it, sir. Thanks!