06 July 2018

God's Word for Friday, 7/6/18

“Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer’s just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you’ll know he’s at the door. Don’t take this lightly. I’m not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won’t wear out."
Matthew 24:32-35 MSG


Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: so likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Matthew 24:32-35 KJV

7 comments:

LindaG said...

Interesting. Slight variation that almost changes the meaning.
I do like the red of the King James version. I like how it highlights Jesus' God given authority.

Rev. Paul said...

Linda, the variation to which you refer comes from our limited understanding of the original Aramaic & Greek texts, and from less-knowledgeable translation performed by the King James translators. They actually say the same thing. :) Thank you.

LindaG said...

Thank you for clarifying, Reverend. :)

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

It is interesting Reverend: I have heard this passage expounded on numerous occasions and yet the clear meaning of the text, from those that would argue from that position for all other parts of Scripture, is curiously obscured.

Rev. Paul said...

You're welcome, Linda.

TB, this passage is so clear that it takes a theologian to misinterpret it. I wish that were a joke, but ... sigh.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

I like this phrase, Reverend. I shall use it in the future.

Rev. Paul said...

With my compliments, good sir. :)