25 August 2018

115 Years Old

It was built in 1903, and given away as a prize on a radio program. In 1928, my grandfather bought it from the lady who owned it. It stayed in his house past his death in 1967, until Grandma's passing 20+ years later. Mom inherited it from Grandma, and I inherited it from her. 

As always, click to enlarge the photos.


The "Brighton", manufactured by the Waterbury Clock Company
Legend and instructions on the back of the cabinet

Face details

Close-up of the artwork on the face. 

I dreamed for years of having this clock as an heirloom and remembrance of my grandparents and parents, and of my childhood. It has passed from generation to generation, to the oldest child of each. Now it's my turn to be custodian and caretaker for a time. 

Hearing the clock ticking away in the other room, striking the hours, brings a depth of feeling of days gone by, and of hope for days ahead.


14 comments:

Vicki said...

What a wonderful remembrance of family and of times past. You are blessed to be it's caretaker.

Rev. Paul said...

That's how I feel about it, Vicki. It's a privilege.

LindaG said...

What a wonderful family heirloom, Reverend. God bless. :-)

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, Linda.

drjim said...

My Dad had a Waltham (I think) "Mantle Clock" that my sister now has. Yes, the sound of it resolutely ticking away was comforting at times.

Wonderful clock, and I agree you're blessed to have it.

Rev. Paul said...

Your sister's clock sounds like a good one, and you're spot on about the sound it makes. Our oldest girl, who will eventually inherit the clock from us, remembers my grandmother. That continuity is reassuring, too.

Old NFO said...

Beautiful, and a nice piece of family history. Good that it now resides with you.

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, NFO. Seems like it's been a long time coming.

Rob said...

Funny, you don't look at old. Have a great week. Leaves turning here, way too early. Mostly turning yellow but it is a change

Rev. Paul said...

I don't feel that old, mostly, although there are days ...

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Not much craftsmanship like that anymore. Enjoy.

Rev. Paul said...

Agreed, TB; thanks.

Rich in NC said...

My parents bought themselves a present for "The Mortgage Burning" when they paid off our home in the 70's with a Grandmother Clock (a clock that's just a little bit smaller than a GrandFather Clock) I am it's present caretaker, and completely understand your feelings about yours.
Rich in NC

Rev. Paul said...

What a wonderful memory & keepsake they gave you. :)