20 October 2019

God's Word for Sunday, 10/20/19

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Psalm 51:7-12 KJV


Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean, scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life. Tune me in to foot-tapping songs, set these once-broken bones to dancing. Don’t look too close for blemishes, give me a clean bill of health. God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. Don’t throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me. Bring me back from gray exile, put a fresh wind in my sails! Give me a job teaching rebels your ways so the lost can find their way home. Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God, and I’ll sing anthems to your life-giving ways. Unbutton my lips, dear God; I’ll let loose with your praise.
Psalm 51:7-12 MSG

6 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Funny story Reverend: Heard a sermon this morning. Sermon on repentance, even. The really odd thing was that it was repenting really from one thing, with all other sins just "thrown in" for good measure. No mention of the need to be made clean, no mention of holiness, just "we need to repent of our social sin".

Thanks for the reminder that repentance really covers all the things, not just the ones we feel make us socially relevant.

Rev. Paul said...

In my experience, any sermon with "we need to repent of ..." without any reason why, isn't worth the wind it took to make it audible.

People need to know how much it cost Jesus to save us, and the price we'll pay if we refuse His salvation.

LindaG said...

Thank you, Lord, for not giving up on me.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, Lord, for not giving up on ANY of us.

Old NFO said...

agreed, he stands by us regardless.

Rev. Paul said...

Amen!