01 July 2020

God's Word for Wednesday, 7/1/2020

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Romans 12:3 KJV


I’m speaking to you out of deep gratitude for all that God has given me, and especially as I have responsibilities in relation to you. Living then, as every one of you does, in pure grace, it’s important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him.

Romans 12:3 MSG

5 comments:

LindaG said...

Amen.

Old NFO said...

Well said, and we DO need to remember to be humble.

Rev. Paul said...

NFO - true enough. Most folks these days seem to have forgotten the two rules of the universe:

1. Only one Messiah per universe.
2. You ain't Him.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

True Humility, never a terribly valued trait at best, is now in such short supply that we should use it instead of gold as a precious medium of exchange.

And remember that C.S. Lewis said that the truly humble are never to be confused with those that tell you how humble they are and spend all their time demonstrating it. The truly humble simply do not think of themselves (in that sense) at all.

Rev. Paul said...

TB - spot on. Way too many of the "I'm so good, I'm practically perfect. But if I had any faults at all, it would be my overwhelming modesty" variety.