12 December 2021

Another Balmy Day in the Frozen North

It was -7° F. when we arose this morning, and by 1300 has warmed all the way up to ... wait for it ... -6°.

Woohoo!

We're assured that it might warm up to -3 by dinnertime, before dropping to -14 tonight. But since this post already resembles a statistical report about IQs in Congress, I'll let it go without further comment.

Older Daughter and I put a couple of lighted figures (a tree and a stack o' presents) on the deck railing, and discovered that the tree has a broken wire. It's a small enough line that I'll be able to repair it before losing the mobility (and feeling) in my fingers.

* * * * *

On that topic, I was asked "What's the difference between -10 and -30?"  Simply put, it's in how quickly one loses the ability to do simple tasks. 

Trimming the insulation back and twisting a couple of small-gauge copper wires together, then taping the joint, doesn't take long at room temp.

It takes somewhat longer as you lose the feeling and mobility in your fingers. At minus 10, it's a task best done quickly. 

At -30, it's task best done indoors. 👨

7 comments:

LindaG said...

I seem to recall that at -30 you can toss a cup of coffee in the air and watch it vaporize.

But maybe that was -60?

I'm a little surprised that you didn't take the tree back in to fix it. ;-)

BUT, I am glad that you did not lose the use of your fingers, Reverend. :)

You all stay warm, be safe, Merry Christmas and God bless!

Rev. Paul said...

Linda, it's a cup of hot coffee at -60: it turns into ice crystals in mid-air. Also, spit freezes on contact with the ground at -45, but freezes in mid-air at -65. We're just not that far north. :)

Re: the tree, it's tied to the porch railing & I simply didn't want to untie it. But that's the only way it'll get repaired in the next few days.

drjim said...

I was working in Montana, in February, at night, and it was about -40, in an unheated building. My soldering iron couldn't get hot enough to melt solder, and my flashlight would go out in my (gloved) hand because the batteries in it froze.

It was NOT pleasant!

Still no snow here, but I've been running the Ariens about once a week to keep it ready.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Front Range Colorado remains dry and not very cold. Not good, we need water next summer. A rancher friend near Steamboat Springs got some snow. So far, not even touching the bottom strand on their fence.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

That just sounds, well cold.

At New Home, we have been whip sawing between Summer and Winter on almost a weekly basis. We badly need the rain (like, I suppose, everyone else).

LindaG said...

Ah yes. -60. I remember doing it when I was stationed at Clear AFS one night. I stepped outside the guard shack with my cup of coffee and tossed it in the air. Sure enough, it disappeared. :)

I never knew about the spit. ;-)

I wish I could send some of our rain somewhere; but they claim Louisiana needs a bit.
I don't see how, but there it is.

You all be safe, and God bless. Merry Christmas!

Old NFO said...

Coldest I've seen was -70, windchill -105. The coffee froze IN the cup before I could throw it. Saw -52 on the bank sign in Fairbanks one year...brrrr