25 June 2009

Quotes of the Day

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."

~~ Albert Einstein

"Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life, are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of humanity."

~~ Henry David Thoreau

"The bill of rights grants NOTHING to you and me. What it does is state that the government has no power to restrict or interfere with a particular right. The Bill of Rights are limitations on the government, not a laundry list of what Americans are allowed to do."

~~ Robb Allen, Sharp As A Marble

4 comments:

LUCKY said...

I like the idea that Einstein puts forward that it doesn't take very much to destroy something or make it worse but it takes alot more fortitude to make things better.

I also like the anyalisis of Robb Allen. I listened to my state representative speak the other day at a gathering and he said things much along the same line describing why Patrick Henry was so insistent upon the constitution having a Bill of Rights that prohibits things the government can do. I think I might just go ahead an post the video from the meeting.

Rev. Paul said...

Lucky, believe it or not, Barney Frank espoused the "limits on government" description of the Bill of Rights on O'Reilly's show ... and then went on talking about all the ways in which the federal government can exceed its authority by doing things not specifically prohibited. He didn't describe it that way, of course, and ignored the 10th Amendment which states the federales can't do anything not put into writing in that same document.

DR said...

I love the last quote. Now if we can get any politicians to absorb and understand it.

Rev. Paul said...

DR, I don't believe any of the politicians really care about the Constitution anymore (well, may be a handful of them still do). I'm not looking to them to protect my pre-existent rights. Time to cowboy up!