25 June 2009

Thursday Thought

You know, with Menta Li Il running the cuckoo's nest that is North Korea ... and with the repeated threat of missile launches, "fire storm", etc. ... and since we live in the potential strike zone ... I don't think it's too silly to take some sensible precautions. Even a low-yield miss from a NoKo nuke could fry the electrical grid & make our city into a large primitive camping area.

As Alaskans, we already have certain 'survival' items on hand in case of severe earthquakes or large-scale volcanic ash output. There was a power outage in January, a couple of years ago, when it was nearly twenty below ... walking around indoors in down clothing, but we didn't get cold, either. I'm just sayin'.

I'm going to supplement the things we already have with some new sleeping bags, a tent (can be used indoors to trap body heat for the family, if nothing else), and augment our supply of potable water.

Then there's the .50 caliber machine gun emplacement on the roof ... oh. Never mind. (Yes, that's a joke!)

I'm hardly a kook or a hard-core survivalist, but I'm familiar with many of the techniques and the equipment required.

We live in perilous times, and it certainly won't hurt to be prepared.

4 comments:

The Farmer said...

Yeah, I'm putting together a bug out bag. Scary is as scary does.

Rev. Paul said...

I see no problem with making reasonable preparations. Here in Alaska, earthquakes, volcanos and blizzards are part of our lives. You never know, so preparation is our friend.

Besides, I'm not going to be buying anything so exotic that it can't be used every day.

upinak said...

Rev.. yeah but I am having a hard time finding ammo. And I am so tired of paying out the ying yang for it.

If you know where 30.06 and Hollow Point .22's are, give me a jingle.

Coffee next Monday sound good?

Also I am going to get some stuff tonight... water, water and more water as well as check the my supplies and add to the "pharmacy". I think I need a buch of stuff.

Rev. Paul said...

Monday's good - ammo's scarce; the only place I've seen with lots of ammo is that new place in Kenai. They probably don't have "lots" any more.