24 March 2010

Mid-Week in Anchorage

My friend Dana had agreed to ship me some ammo, in a caliber that's hard to find up here. That rather heavy box arrived today; I'll put it in the back of the locker, and use it when my existing supply starts to run low. Thanks, pal - I owe you one; the check will go out tomorrow.

* * * * *

Speaking of guns, an acquaintance told me that he got to play with an SKS over the weekend. Some guys have all the fun.

* * * * *

I've had enough national news for right now, and want to refresh my mental outlook. So I've been reading, but I'll take a break from Terry Pratchett to speak of other things.

It's 35 today, and melting continues. The snow bank at the edge of my parking lot at work is now lower than the hood of my Expedition. The driving lanes in the lot are clear, too, but the parking spaces have an icy coat remaining, due to the shade provided by the vehicles.

Overnight lows still dip into the mid-20s, so the freeze/thaw cycle will go on for awhile. Fortunately, we've had no really warm spells to generate large lakes from the thaw. "Really" warm here means any temps much above 40. Heh.

The ground is still frozen, so it will be awhile before anything turns green, but that's okay. It's still March, and much winter can happen in the next month. I don't want to speak anything into existence, but we're overdue for a blizzard... (I can hear my Alaska readers shouting "Stop! Stop!" right now.)

In Girdwood, about a half-hour southeast of Anchorage, they had quite a bit of snow today. I spoke with a friend there this morning, who told me they'd had 6" by 10 a.m., and it was still coming down at a good clip. Anchorage received no precip, as far as I know.

* * * * *

Moist von Lipwig is calling my name; it's back to the book(s)!

2 comments:

joated said...

Making Money or Going Postal? Either is good and the titles seem to fit today's news. No?

Rev. Paul said...

Being the n00b that I am, I read Making Money first, and now in the middle of Going Postal. I realized quickly, starting the second book, that it was supposed to be first.

That's the problem with the Discworld books - since they deal with the lives of multiple characters, it requires a cross-referenced spreadsheet to know which ones go with whom, and in what order.