18 July 2009

Minor Anniversary Update

On this date in 1973, I reported to Great Lakes Naval Training Center to begin boot camp.

I told you it was a minor anniversary ...

* * * * *

Other things: last weekend, when we traveled to Seward for the wildlife cruise, gas in Anchorage was $2.93. There was a lot of grumbling about that price - what is it? 30 cents higher than the national average? - until we got to Seward.

In Seward, gas was $3.29 per gallon. No more complaints from us.

* * * * *

The Anchorage Daily Noise, er, News is starting to report stories other than those about Sarah Palin. Unfortunately, it appears these are the dog days of summer, for us, and nothing much of interest is happening.

There's this - a couple of guys pulled in this 90-lb king salmon from the Kenai River.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
We have 63 degrees this morning, but the sunny skies have turned cloudy, and AccuHunch is alleging some rain might be sticking around for most of the upcoming week.

It's quiet, otherwise. My wife & younger daughter have gone to be pampered at a local salon. I was planning to climb out onto the overhang above the garage & wash the living room window. Since rain is forecast, I suppose it will have to wait until next weekend. If the glass is to be cleaned, I'd like it to last for more than a day.

* * * * *

I have accepted the task of helping with the layout - and perhaps an occasional post - on a new site about Sarah Palin. Several bloggers from around the country will be contributing posts; give Palination a look if you're interested.

kthxbye!

4 comments:

Richard said...

You sure are a youngster. On this date in 73, I was stationed in Peral Harbor and had 11 years in.

GUYK said...

nice fish! If I was twenty years younger I would be on the spit right now going after halibut

DR said...

Congratulations on your Anniversary. I consider mine to be a major event. Your life is never quite the same after serving, huh? One things civilians will never understand.

Rev. Paul said...

Richard - okay, if you say so. I don't feel old, but I sure don't feel like a youngster anymore.

Guy - it would be a hoot to get together with the two of you. You never know.

DR - I figured that anniversary - important to me - would be a yawn to everyone else except other veterans. Yes, it was a life-changer in ways that still matter today.