27 August 2009

Thursday Morning


Good morning. It only got down to 51 degrees overnight, and it's rainy again today. The weather is nothing special at the moment, but nature put on a display for us last night.

The rainbow started out farther away, and drew closer as the sun was going down. This picture was taken about 45 minutes before sunset. You can click for "wow-that's-a-big-picture", if you like.


* * * * *

One of the comments I received yesterday was a request for me to publish what my daughter is cooking this week. Unfortunately, school has started, and she's discovered how much reading material we've given her for her sophomore year. This leaves her not wanting to commit to a regular cooking schedule until she gets used to her studies.

Therefore, my wife & daughter have decided to do much of the prep work on weekends, making ingredients that can be easily combined and cooked in relatively short time. If they're not too complicated, I'll do some of that myself, when daughter is otherwise occupied.

I can cook enough to keep body & soul from parting company, but I eat a much better selection and variety when someone else is cooking. My choices would probably not inspire a magazine article, shall we say?

* * * * *

Anchorage has a fairly large budget shortfall this year, and faces a larger one next year. The new mayor (in office for about a month, now) has been laying off workers, and shortening workweeks for others.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to not be hearing demagoguery about how high to jack up the taxes. It's because there are no income or sales taxes, here. Property tax is the only thing to be concerned about, and this year's rate was set back in February or so. Next year, there will be plenty of time to jack it up once again, all the while expounding and discussing why the budget must be balanced on the backs of property owners.

* * * * *

Y'all have a good day - and thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

Meadow said...

Anchorage Mayor Sullivan can truly claim he inherited the mess that is the shortfall budget!

At our house, we wondered how long it would take to unravel the mess the boy-mayor left for his predecessors.

On another note, we do get to see some beautiful stuff in the sky, from the marvelous rainbows to an awesome sunset now and again.

Have a wonderful day!

deedee said...

I enjoy reading your blog. It's hard to make a comment sometimes when "you" have already said everything in your post that I would have said myself. Keep writing - the truth needs to be read! :)

Rev. Paul said...

Meadow & Deedee: thank you.

joated said...

Hey, thanks for replying to my menu request. Seems like your daughter has got her priorities right...at least for now. (Sophmore year can be quite and education both in and out of the classroom!)

Like you, I eat much healthier and with greater variety when I have someone esle doing the cooking. Otherwise it's steak or chicken breast, French fries and little else. I might, occasionally, make some pasta but then the sauce comes from a jar and isn't home made.

Nice rainbow picture, BTW. They are often tough to get but digital and good computer editing software can certainly help.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you. The rainbow pic is untouched; everything I tried to do to it with software made it worse, rather than better.

Admittedly, my software is not particularly sophisticated. I took 8 pics, and this was the best of the lot.

Anonymous said...

Can't seem to access the Patriot Microchip post.
YeOldFurt

Rev. Paul said...

YeOldFurt - it was a post about Marine snipers being willing to provide instant end-of-life therapy to terrorists, in the military caliber of their choice. Unfortunately, neither the picture of the rounds available, nor the U.S. Marine logo would stay embedded in the post. Every time I re-posted it, the pics disappeared a few minutes later, so I finally took the post down.

Sorry.