22 January 2010

Alaska's Unemployment Rate Increases (Updated)

JUNEAU -- Alaska's unemployment rate hit 8.8 percent last month, its highest level since September 1992. The rate was 6.8 percent in December 2008.

The state Labor Department cites several factors for the increase over the year, including job losses in the oil, construction, hospitality and leisure industries. It also attributes the rise in part to the growth in job seekers from other states coming to Alaska to find work.
(emphasis added)


Didn't I just tell you not to come up here looking for work? We don't have any jobs for you, folks. I'm sorry, but this market is too small to absorb unemployed job-seekers.

Did you land a job here before you came up? Fantastic! Welcome aboard! But have one before you arrive, or you'll be a sad puppy.












UPDATE: Please read this carefully - the State does NOT give everyone a monthly check. I know the rumor's out there, but it's a lie.

Yes, there are checks. But it takes two years to qualify, and then you get exactly ONE check per year. The average check has been about $1,000 - so if you can go without eating for two years while you wait for a thousand bucks, then more power to you.

That's all - no jobs, and no free money. PLEASE save yourselves the aggravation and horrific expense involved in moving way up here. Have a job lined up, or don't come.

THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It amazes me that people are packing up and moving here without employment, in the middle of winter. There are rumors in California (and elsewhere I'm sure) that you get a pfd check every month and there are no taxes!

Jenny said...

But... but... what about that check the state mails out to everyone every month? It must be true. My roommates's brother's ex-girlfriend's cousin told me all about it... :)

Cassie said...

People are such idiots sometimes.

When I worked for Alaska Airlines was the first I heard of the pfd chks. I know you never can tell what the amount will be from year to year, and you certainly can't live on them! I thought you had to live in AK longer than 2 years. Didn't realize it was such a short time. I guess we ALL should join you up there for that big payday?? Right.