23 January 2010

Fire and Ice

The weather gurus at AccuHunch are insisting we'll have a partly sunny day; at 9:15 a.m., however, it's 3.6 degrees with lots of frost. Fire in the sky, and ice on the ground.

My original plan was to head to the range and expend a few rounds of .270 this morning. I'm having a bit of trouble motivating myself for that. It has occurred to me more than once that it would be far easier if I had a shootin' buddy ... if for no other reason than I would have agreed to meet said buddy when the range opens at 10:00.

I have time to shake off the morning doldrums, so we'll see.

* * * * *

Who's-the-sad-panda Dept: "An Alaska judge has sided with former Gov. Sarah Palin in a lawsuit over e-mail, finding that state law doesn't forbid the use of private e-mail accounts to conduct state business.

"Friday's ruling by Superior Court Judge Patrick McKay stems from a lawsuit filed by Palin critic Andree McLeod. McLeod argued that Palin and the governor's office had a responsibility to save as public records e-mails related to state business, regardless of the accounts the messages were sent through."

You can read the rest if you want to, but the plaintiff is the same person who was behind the majority of the ethics complaints filed against Sarah Palin while she was in office. Ms. McLeod lost all of those, too. The ethic complaints before the State's personnel board, unfortunately, cost her nothing. But this one might result in her at least having to pay the court costs.

* * * * *

In other Alaska news, "The Coast Guard has suspended its search for two pilots who disappeared after a twin-engine plane crashed while taking off from the Sand Point airport.

~ snip ~

The Coast Guard searched 358 nautical miles for a total of 14 hours Friday, calling an end to the effort at 5:42 p.m., Lally said. It's unlikely they will continue the search today, he said.

Sand Point is on Popof Island, off the Alaska Peninsula, 570 miles from Anchorage. It has a 4,000-foot runway.

The downed aircraft is a Beechcraft 1900 that would typically fly with a pilot and first officer, said Larry Lewis, an air safety investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board in Anchorage."

* * * * *

I've just scraped the frost off of my wife's car; the cold went right through my 3 1/2 season jacket. It'll be the down coat until the temp gets closer to 10 degrees, when the lighter jacket will be sufficient.

I don't have any experience with taking a room-temperature scope into single-digit cold. Any thoughts? Leave it in the case, in the back of the truck, so it cools slowly?

2 comments:

Cassie said...

There's a point where really cold just seems to be really cold. Heat, on the other hand...man it just keeps getting hotter! I'll still take the cold any day. You're a good doo-bee for getting your sweetie's car warmed up and scraped for her.Hopefully I'll get Patrick to do the same when we're in ID full time.

Had to laugh at your daughter's early alarm story.When I was younger and on rotating shift work I could sleep through 2 alarms going off simultaniously. It took the 3rd alarm to get me up(only on the day shift---no problemo on swings and graves). Pat gets up at 330AM for work and occasionally forgets to shut off his alarm if he awakens b4 it goes off.Drives me NUTS!! Especially since I usually have just gotten to sleep.

joated said...

I wonder who is behind Ms. McLeod's efforts. I'm sure they will be picking up the tab on this court loss.

"3 1/2 season jacket" good description. Down does seem to do much more for you in the really cold weather.

I don't have much experience with taking a scoped rifle out in single digits either (I tend not to venture forth under those conditions anymore) but leaving it cased in the unheated portion of your truck until it acclimates should do the trick. I know hunters in the Adirondacks would rack their guns outside the cabin door rather than bring them into the warm interior.