17 January 2010

A Less-Hectic Day

New furniture is in place; the bedroom finally looks like it's for grownups, rather than the setting for an upcoming garage sale.

My wife is off to buy groceries, and browse to her heart's content at whatever stores she cares to visit. We've discovered various sore & achy bits this morning, after shuffling up & down the stairs multiple dozens of times over the last 48 hours, carrying various large, bulky and/or heavy things. It's our bodies' way of telling us we're not 30-somethings anymore ... not that we entertained any doubts on that score.

We went out for dinner last night, since it was clear that no one had the energy or desire to cook. We visited Appleby's again, reinforcing my opinion of how truly, um, routine their food is. It doesn't matter how many times they revise their menu, add different ingredients, or try mixing things up; the food remains mundane, at best. Maybe I'm spoiled by having two very good cooks at home - okay, there's no "maybe" about it - but I rarely enjoy eating out these days.

The horror that is Haiti continues to dominate the news. Regardless of your opinion of former Pres. G.W. Bush, I recommend you take his advice: "Lots of folks want to send blankets and water. Please just send cash." Be careful to whom you send your donations, of course, but please help if you're able.

I think I shall do little-to-nothing today, as often as I can. But first I need to hang the rest of the new artwork.

1 comment:

joated said...

Yeah, moving heavy stuff up and down stairs will wear out the knees, back, arms...well, everything pretty darn quick.

We like to find stand alone restaurants as opposed to chains like Applebee's when we go out to diner. Some of them really stink but so many are individuals who are really, really trying to please.

"I think I shall do little-to-nothing today, as often as I can." Amen! Football on the tube. Rain outside. (If the Vikings could get another score or two, I'd take a nap until the Jets/Chargers game.)