23 March 2010

My Love Affair

... with books, that is. Srsly, what did you think?

I'm one of those geeks that loves hard science fiction. I like knowing that something is at least theoretically possible; it enhances my pleasure in the reading. I enjoy science fantasy, too - what matters is that the story be told believably. It's perfectly okay to suspend my disbelief, if the details don't keep kicking me back to reality.

Beginning in the late '60s, I have devoured every science fiction/fantasy book I could get my hands on. I don't remember exactly when the fascination began, but it must date back to grade school. Having gone through all of the Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys, and even Nancy Drew novels as soon as I was old enough to read, I moved on to Tom Swift and novels of that sort. I loved the whole "boy inventor" concept behind titles like Tom Swift & His Hydraulic Steampunk. That, perhaps, was the first intimation of my love of science fiction. Yes, I read all the Tom Swift books, too.

But I was reading scifi before I got to high school, and have never stopped. I discovered other genres a bit later, and - for example - didn't get 'round to Tolkien & LOTR until my mid-20s. (Sorry, Rick; I know you tried to tell me how great that was, back in '74. I just didn't grok what you were talking about.)

I'm a bit of a traditionalist ... okay, perhaps "old fuddy-duddy" might be a better phrase ... and have sometimes been reluctant to try other things. This led me to miss entire works of certain authors, which lack I'm now trying to rectify. That said, and after months of passing references by Brigid, Tam and others, I finally bought a large armload of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, and am busily making up for lost time.

I'm also working on The Real George Washington, as I mentioned previously. It's not like me to read two books at once, but maybe it's time to try new things (grins).

4 comments:

Cassie said...

My, the Bobsey Twins were the only series I read.I did read a stack of 20 Sci-fi paperbacks when I was 14.I remember Gene Rodenberry was one of the authors.That's about the extent of my read into sci-fi.Sounds like you are qualified to start writing book reviews Rev.! Looking forward to reading them.

Jenny said...

One of these days I'll have to get around to Pratchet.

... if you like "fantasy" with some sci-fi exposition, I can't recommend John Ringo's There Will Be Dragons highly enough. It's still got that "military" edge he does, but the pseudo-fantasy setting is just fun.

Bast has officially joined the "you're my hero" list. :p

Meadow said...

Alaska author, Dana Stabenow, wrote a series of 3 called the Star Svensdotter serie: http://www.stabenow.com/novels/star-svensdotter

I found those long after going thru her Kate Shugak books.

Sci-fi is great until it gets into the dark side, then I get the willies and go clean the kitchen!

DR said...

When I was twelve I was being tested at the university for placement and the only criticism I received was that I only read serious material. That was when my love affair with science fiction really got started. Eighteen years later I have amassed quite a collection, converted my wife, and my kids. Have you ever watched Farscape? I think that is the best TV series, though I have not read any of the books yet.