25 June 2010

The Week That Was

The geologist attacked by a grizzly last Sunday is talking to the local paper, and describes the "double attack" here.

There was a 'quake felt here last night around 9 p.m. The reports say it was only a 4.68 magnitude, but it was apparently shallow & therefore felt more strongly. At our home, there was a sharp jolt followed by a brisk side-to-side shaking. I should point out that such 'quakes are fairly common in these parts, so it didn't exactly cause a panic.

There was a rally downtown, yesterday afternoon, by the Conservative Patriots Group - a Mat-Su Valley-based organization which says it's part of the nationwide tea party movement. A description of the event, and the things they believe, may be found here.

Finally, under the heading of Expensive Lessons Learned, there's this: when we purchased my Expedition for the drive to Alaska, it came with only one ignition key, and one remote. Over the years, I have often remarked that I should get a copy made, just in case someone (primarily me) locked the keys in said truck. Of course, I never actually managed to get there.

I'm sure you know where this is going: last night, in juggling a 10" fruit tart, briefcase, and keyring while exiting the truck, I dropped the keys in the seat. I had that sinking feeling just as I nudged the door shut with my elbow, but by then it was too late.

Seventy dollars later, I have a nice shiny copy in my wallet, and egg on my face.

That's about it for now - thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets see the options: The tool lock smiths use to open locked cars? I think it's called a slim jim? Or a locksmith as a friend. Break the cheapest window, replace with duck tape,and plastic.
Or in reality pay the price for your mistake. lol
Some education costs are cheaper than others. lesson learned.

See Ya.

Rev. Paul said...

Slim jim didn't work. The locksmith tried his, and it didn't work either. Had to use an inflatable air bag to spread the top of the door out from the roof, just far enough to get a stiff rod through to the electric lock button.

Yes, lesson learned.

LomaAlta said...

Chuck, this is a common mistake. I did the same thing once in my old Ford truck. Only difference is I pushed the door shut with my rear end, realized my mistake and reached behind my back to catch the door. The door slammed on my left thumb leaving me standing there with my thumb throbbing in the door. No cell phones in the good old days.

I stood there with my thumb throbbing for about half an hour and not a single person came by. Finally, I gritted my teeth, and pulled my thumb out, losing some skin and causing great pain.

But my biggest mistake came in telling my colleagues about it. I was the object of much office gossip and even more teasing. It was especially difficult because it took weeks for my thumb to heal and grow a new nail. I was reminded each day.