01 September 2010

Mid-Week Digest

Let's-Get-it-Out-of-the-Way Dept: 49 degrees at my place; 52 at the airport. Light rain & falling leaves.

Things-That-Go-Bang Dept: I've just been asked why I don't write more about firearms, since I link to so many 'gunny' blogs. Two reasons:
  1. I'm not an expert, and only talk about my own experience. I'd never pass advice to anyone else via the written word. Meet me at the range? I'll be happy to help, if I can.
  2. I have the great fortune to live in Alaska, where 2nd Amendment issues are all but nonexistent; we have very few things to be concerned about. Despite the occasional progressive bleat in the local paper, if I want to carry openly, I can and do ... and I've never been challenged on it. Concealed carry? Every day, every time I leave my home. Permit? We have constitutional carry; no permit required. If a person is 21+ and legally able to purchase a handgun, then that person can also carry concealed.
No big deal, here. My prayer is that it will be that way, everywhere - and soon.

Now-the-Work-Begins Dept: Okay, Joe Miller is the GOP nominee for the U.S. Senate. Sitka's mayor, Scott "Who?" McAdams, is the Dem he'll face in November. The Dem's national party promises its full support for the mayor. This is a red state, but let's take nothing for granted. There is work ahead.

Who'da-Thunk-It? Dept: Senator Lisa Murkowski made a very gracious concession speech, despite the many voices predicting otherwise. However, she did not endorse Joe Miller. He thinks she will. Eventually.

Oopsy-Daisy Dept: Alyeska Pipeline Service Co., [t]he company that runs the trans-Alaska pipeline remains under federal investigation and is in the middle of major changes after an internal probe this summer raised serious concerns about how it handled a major pipeline leak and emergency shutdown in May.

~ snip ~

Alyeska is owned by BP, Conoco Phillips, Exxon Mobil, Koch Industries and Chevron, the companies that also own the pipeline.

No comments: