09 September 2010

Thursday's Randomosity

It was 48 & foggy this morning. If this keeps up, I'll have to switch to long-sleeved shirts next month.

The rumor of Sen. Murkowski (Defeated-AK) launching an independent write-in campaign persists, but thus far remains only a rumor. Thank goodness. With apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein, she's starting to sound like the "girl who cain't say 'no'."

The self-described "activist" (she'd want me to mention her name) behind most of the now-dismissed ethics complaints against Sarah Palin has filed yet another complaint. This time, she's going after a former Palin staffer who is in the throes of writing about his time on Palin's staff. The activist (she'd want me to mention her name) is whining that since she wasn't allowed access to Palin's e-mails, then the other guy shouldn't be able to use them, either. What a maroon.

As I understand it, the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet has the only predictable and recurring bore tide known to exist. There's a video of Sumdood doing stand-up paddlesurfing on one such wave, here (from www.surfalaska.net, based in Homer). And I'll bet you didn't know there was surfing of any kind in Alaska ...

One letter to the editor in today's paper compares this year's Alaskan politics to the Wizard of Oz. She may be right. I'll refrain from trying to identify Dorothy, but you can probably figure it out for yourselves.

One editorial in the local rag also notes (several months after the fact) that Sarah Palin is to make opening remarks at Glenn Beck's appearance at the local convention center on Saturday. "But unlike their free August rally at the National Mall, Saturday's event in Anchorage will come with a hefty price", it intones. Gee, really? A political observer is charging admission for a public appearance. GASP I'm shocked; shocked I say.

That's all the news that will fit, this morning.

4 comments:

DR said...

Senator Murkowski is delusional if she thinks she can win as a write-in candidate. Whatever happened to honor in politics?

joated said...

DR said: "Whatever happened to honor in politics?"

You're kidding, right? Never, ever existed.

Rev. Paul said...

@joated - be kind, sir. I suspect he's not as long in the tooth as you & I. Those of us who date from the Eisenhower era must be kind to those who 'sort of' remember Reagan. Heh.

(DR: just kidding, my friend!)

DR said...

Perhaps I am not as cynical as you older gentlemen;-)

I do remember when Reagan narrowly lost the nomination to Ford and handled it like gentleman. I also remember when John Ashcroft lost the election to a dead man whose wife would go on to fill the position and he also handled it like a gentleman. The era of statesmen is coming to an end, but we are not quite there yet.