06 August 2011

Back from the Range ... Bleah

It's my own darned fault. I hadn't uncased the rifle in ... okay, I can't remember the last time I was there. I think it was several months ago... but whatever the length of time, it showed.

I've struggled to find a comfortable position for shooting the scoped rifle at Wet Bunny, as the benches seem very low to me. In a fit of semi-desperation, I bought a folding bipod. Of course that threw the scope way off from its previous settings.

My first three shots were about 3" high, and an inch to the right of center. No problem, I thought, and dutifully adjusted the scope accordingly. Nope. Now too low, and placed shots an inch off center again, at both 3 and 9 o'clock.

The elevation is now correct, about 1.25" high at 100 yards (meaning spot on at 200 yards). I need to go back and work on keeping the thing centered so it doesn't wander from left to right.

Like I said, my fault: lack of practice, and probably one too many cups of coffee this morning. But mostly lack of practice.

One other note: it's caribou season, and the range was WAY busy. I was about #6 in line, and not only did the rifle range have someone at every position, but there were another dozen folks waiting for a turn (I don't recall seeing shooters standing in line before). So when I realized I wasn't going to do any better, I took my stuff and my leave.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont feel too bad i finally got my new 1851 .36 Navy down the Range capped off loaded one chamber and the
sky open up and more rain in the end
i fired 2 shots,will try again 2morro.

Jenny said...

I guess that means... next week. :)
I'm glad you got out - neat!


(Lazybones me spent the morning cuddled up with Paul Revere's Ride on the recommendation of the Appleseed folks. cf. doing vs. reading. ;P )

Off center to either side - trigger control issue maybe? I blame the caffeine. ;)

Rev. Paul said...

AJD - I miss having a big ol' cap-and-ball revolver laying around. They're a hoot to shoot. :)

Jenny - It's possible the caffeine was more at fault than I thought. I simply couldn't keep the cross hairs from wandering.

Jenny said...

no coffee before rifletime! Coffee only AFTER rifletime! :)

drjim said...

Every time I go out with my son he beats the pants off me!
It's like the old joke "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?".
PRACTICE!