05 August 2011

Chef Sam: Culinary Camp Days 4 and 5

Yesterday's class was somewhat disappointing. The lead chefs had promised there would be the de-boning of whole chickens; that didn't happen. Then they said the young chefs would process whole rabbits. That didn't happen, either.

My wife and I asked Sam why, and she said, "Most of [the other student chefs] didn't even know how to hold a knife. It was sad."

So they made risotto instead.

Today, happily, was a different story. This morning, the students were told they could prepare whatever they wanted. Sam began the day by preparing mushrooms stuffed with a sausage mixture including onion, garlic, parsley, bread crumbs and a few other things.

Next, she sauteed bacon-wrapped scallops (BACON!), which cooked in the bacon grease (BACON!) as heat was applied.

Finally, she grilled a few pieces of filet mignon ("just to get the marks on them", she said) and is finishing them at home as I type this.

Class photo

4 comments:

TenMile said...

Understand the brown-out, Rev Paul. I was wondering at the relative percentages of Yupik, Innuit, gusak in the class of cooks.

Sorry, have a weird way of thinking.

Rev. Paul said...

Tenmile, I have no idea. This is a summertime, open-to-high-school-students course on the university campus, which anyone can pay to attend.

Home on the Range said...

What fun!. What she made sounds wonderful. She has a gift.

Stephen said...

My dream is to one day attend such a class. Ah, life.