02 July 2012

Disappointed

in the lack of response to my request for advice re: a replacement rifle scope. As I mentioned yesterday, the reticle came apart while I was at the range.

You'd have thought that Weatherby's own factory-installed choice of scope would stand up to moderate recoil better than that.

Given the high percentage of shooters in my readership, I expected more than one reply (thank you, drjim).

15 comments:

North said...

I'd help if I knew anything at all about scopes. Other than one end is better to look through.

I understand being disappointed in response, though. Understand completely.

TinCan Assassin said...

I use Iron Sights. I'm useless to you.

Rev. Paul said...

GBBL: thanks anyway. I appreciate the response, if nothing else. :)

Assassin: me, too, hence the problem with the Weatherby - the first & only rifle I've ever owned with a scope on it. It came that way.

MaddMedic said...

Either cheap or expensive...I can only afford cheap but have been using Barska and find them okay.Have a couple of Bushnells and they work okay, one on my 336c for deer and one on a plinker as is the curret Barska.
But again high end scopes?
Sorry...

Rev. Paul said...

MaddMedic: the factory-installed scope is a Bushnell. I'm looking at the $150 to $200 range, so all y'all are in the ballpark.

Keads said...

Cant help Rev. I know nada about optics.

Bob said...

I got the same sort of response about my latest blog post. It seems to work that way, for some reason; you bust your butt (or your brain matter) to craft something you think is worthy (or just ask for advice, even) and...crickets.

But then I recall what St. Benedict said in his Rule for monks:

The sixth degree of humility is that a monk be content with the meanest and worst of everything, and esteem himself, in regard to the work that is given him, as a bad and unworthy workman, saying to himself with the prophet: "I am brought to nothing; I am all ignorance; I am become as a dumb beast before thee; yet am I ever close to thee."

Rev. Paul said...

Understood, Bob, and thanks. Besides, it seems everyone (so far) includes the Nikon Bushmaster scopes in their recommendations. Probably can't go wrong with that.

Jenny said...

eep!

Sorry, didn't think I had anything to offer compared to the rest of your readership. :p

I had always listened to the recommendations for Leopold - there's one on Baby if you want to take her out and see what you think. :)

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Jenny - might just take you up on that offer. It's time to get Baby out again & check the lube anyway.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I don't use scopes because of an eye thing I have.I've always perfered ironsights but my brother like Bushnell. Hope that helps

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Corey. I usually prefer iron sights, too.

threecollie said...

Alas, I don't even really understand the question. Wish I coulda helped.

Rev. Paul said...

threecollie, it's okay. It means the cross-hairs inside the scope literally broke in two, and came apart.

drjim said...

You're welcome, Rev!