07 December 2017

Pearl Harbor Day: December 7, 1941

Every year, we hear less and less about Pearl Harbor. About the sneak attack which killed so many American fighting men and women. Civilians, too, although even less is heard about them.

We dare not forget. Tell your friends, tell your children and grandchildren. Remind anyone who will listen.




We dare not forget what happened when Japan bombed our sailors at Pearl Harbor - nor how close they came to beating us on that day, if only our carriers had been present. Thank God (literally) they were elsewhere at the time.

On our recent trip to Honolulu, we shared a shuttle with a young mother (and her two kids) from Canada.

The shuttle had a video of local attractions playing, and she asked "What's that?" when the Arizona Memorial was displayed. I told her of the attack on Pearl Harbor, and what happened to the Arizona. She'd heard of Pearl Harbor, but not much else.

The driver told us, as we disembarked, "I'd have answered her, but you were doing such a good job that I didn't want to interrupt you. You must have been here before." It made me sad to think that people have to go see it, to learn about it. It used to be taught in schools.

But I admit I was proud to tell him, "I was in the Navy. And I've been to Pearl, too."

One of the moments which I'll never forget was our first visit to Pearl Harbor. We met survivors ... and they wanted to shake my hand. I've never met more humble men.




15 comments:

threecollie said...

Never forget...I am so grateful to have family who remember that awful day. My mama was playing upstairs with her cousins and heard the hush downstairs when the news came.

Rev. Paul said...

I understand, ma'am. My late father was 12, nearly 13, and Mom had just turned 9. She still talks about on this day, each year.

Old NFO said...

Yep, lost extended family on the ARIZONA, had others fight through the South Pacific. I won't forget, nor will my kids.

Rev. Paul said...

Understood, sir. My Uncle Verl enlisted the next day, and wound up spending 3 years on Adak as a Boatswain's Mate, tending B-25s through the end of the way.

LindaG said...

I don't know which is more frustrating. The fact that U.S. History is not taught any more; or that when it is, it is changed to make America the aggressor.

I have to wonder if we *could* produce another Greatest Generation, if we needed to.

Rev. Paul said...

Linda, that's a VERY good question. I'm afraid we might not like the answer.

LindaG said...

Agreed!

And on another note, we may get a whole HALF INCH of snow. Doubt it will stay though. We haven't had enough cold to make the ground cold.
Maybe on the vehicles... :)

Rev. Paul said...

A whole half-inch? Bwaahahahaha! Oops, sorry. I mean, that wouldn't even qualify as a dusting, here.

Rich in NC said...

Rev. Paul, Linda G?
"I have to wonder if we *could* produce another Greatest Generation, if we needed to."
You both have to remember, 'Flyover Country' is vast.
Yes, we can.
Let us pray we don't ever have to.
Rich in NC

Rev. Paul said...

Rich, I was probably over-thinking the question. I'm sure you're right.

LindaG said...

Rich, I agree with you on both counts. It's just sometimes the 'snowflakes' bum me out.

Reverend. Hahaha! That's a lot for Louisiana. ;-)
I do remember snowbanks in Alaska tall enough to help you understand why school buses have blinking lights on top of them. :)
Glad you got a good laugh though!

LindaG said...

Thought I would let you know we did get our snow. Not much at 35 degrees. It hasn't been cold long enough.
But I posted a few pictures on my blog. :)

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Linda.

drjim said...

I met and worked with many WWII Vets, and they all say "We Were Only Doing Our Job".

Humble men, indeed!

Rev. Paul said...

Jim, I honestly believe that they saw so much death, that they're stunned to have survived. That certainly humbles me.