11 August 2018

A Random Navy Memory

A post over at Old AF Sarge's place made me remember something I try not to dwell on.


I vaguely (okay, clearly) recall getting in an Ensign's face when he asked me, a newly-minted E-5, to provide some info that my office hadn't been responsible for tracking since the Navy changed the procedure some three years previously. 

When I told him that the info he wanted was available in the Disbursing Office on another floor, he wanted to get horsey about it. But I wasn't having it. 

And I told him so, in words of half a syllable. I figured even an O-1 (that's like a 2nd Lt., a butterbar, for the groundpounder types) could understand short words. 

The other senior petty officers looked appropriately horrified during the event, and then rolled on the floor after said Ensign slinked away. That's when I got horrified, in fear of repercussions. There weren't any, but there could have been.

But I never did it again. Not because I wouldn't have, but rather that my enlistment expired before the next opportunity to do so. 

Like they say, it's better to be lucky than good. And I was LUCKY.

6 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

It's always better to be lucky than good!

On a more somber note, your Mom was a lovely lady Rev. We mourn her passing with you, knowing that she is in a better place and you'll see her again in God's Own Time.

Bless you and your family.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, Sarge.

LindaG said...

Hahahahaha.

I can honestly say I never did that...

Rev. Paul said...

Then clearly you're more patient than I, Linda. Good for you!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Sorry for your loss.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, sir.