13 October 2018

Post #6,701: It's a Pain

Due to the presence of a professional chef (Younger Daughter) in the household, we have a professional faucet on the kitchen sink. She's fussy about things like that.  :)


I installed it, with the help of my lovely, thoughtful wife, at the end of March. Unfortunately, the internal "nut" (e.g, a long, threaded brass sleeve) which extends downward through the hole on the back of the sink wasn't tight enough. Turning the faucet arm back and forth in daily use managed to loosen it over time.

As a result, the whole assembly wobbled, and rotated a bit. Not good, that.

So today I finally had the time to crawl under the sink. Removing the very large brass nut and three-side "anti-rotation" collar is necessary to re-tighten the sleeve. 

Problem is, there's virtually no room for me under said sink. I have to slide in between the P-traps on the two sinks, under the cross-connection which permits the discharge from the garbage disposal to flow down the main drain under the shallow sink.


Between that, the water lines (shown above) dangling on my right temple, power cords, and couple of other dangly bits, I can just get both hands to the bottom of the faucet. 

Then reverse the process. The large brass nut which hold the whole assembly together (also shown above) is larger than all but my largest monkey wrench. There's only about 4.5" from side to side, and only a vertical tool can reach the nut. After achieving "finger tight", it can be turned by the monkey wrench about 1/3 revolution per effort.

This, while my wife holds the assembly from above, to keep it from turning during the tightening process. It's not hard, but it's difficult, if you know what I mean.

But the deed is done, and we're going to sit and start watching Fringe again. 

9 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

A wonderful tool I had until my youngest son "borrowed it" was a Rigid brand plumbing wrench with the jaws perpendicular to the handle, much like a wrench. There was a hole in the end of the handle you could use a screwdriver as a lever to turn it. The handle was 18" long.

drjim said...

The last plumbing project I did was to replace the disposer shortly after we moved in here. Our sink is a similar design to yours, where the two basins are different sizes, and different depths.

The disposer was on the 'shallow' side, meaning higher to lift it as I lay on my back, under the sink, getting jabbed by all manner of things.

I finally used a little bottle jack and a block of wood to get it up to the flange so I could get the locking collar attached.

Yup....working under sinks is not one of my favorite tasks. It reminds me of working under a dashboard, but at least there you're laying on carpet.

Suz said...

We installed the new sink and faucet last November. Took 3 different trys over about 4 months to get the drain pipes to seal correctly under the sink...hate dumping the dish water and having it flow out over my feet. Hate having to mop it up so Hubbie can get down there and figure out the remedy. It involved going to the Hardware store and buying parts as the ones in the "Parts Department" were not the correct ones (obviously!!).
The difficulty now is the faucet is only dribbling...have tried soaking in vinegar as we do have hard water...no improvement...Sigh.
The current theory is somewhere in the line is a water-restricter as a way to help save water (not a problem here, we have waaay too much of the stuff) The artesian well runs 24/7/365. It is on the Honey-do list to look into but currently sawing out the 1x4's for the barn roof is taking priority. That was today's project. We sawed out a third of the amount needed. And, as we were very tired and sore, went out to dinner. So at least I don't have to do dishes tonight. Yea!!

And yes, squirreling around under sinks, even when I pull out all the pails with cleaner stuff in them, is just a pain...usually in the back. :)

Rev. Paul said...

WSF - I bought a plumbing wrench locally, but the jaws are smaller than the nut they're supposed to turn. Now I'll turn to Amazon (pardon the bad pun) to try & find a larger one.

jim - our disposal is on the deep sink, most likely because the waste line is under the shallow side. So it hangs even farther down into the cabinet below.

Suz - I feel your pain. I'd rather tackle almost any sort of electric issue than plumbing. Carpentry is somewhere in the middle: not my strong suit, but at least I have some idea how to do it. Plumbing is ... a pain.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/offset-wrenches

LindaG said...

Glad you got the job done!

Rev. Paul said...

WSF - thanks for the reference.

Linda - thank you. :)

Old NFO said...

Glad you got it done. I'd have paid somebody... I can't do that stuff anymore... sigh

Rev. Paul said...

Laying head-and-shoulders in the cabinet under the sink, with my lower back & backside on a pile of blankets & rungs, is always uncomfortable. I certainly understand why some can't (or don't want to) do it. I can barely do it, myself. It's just that at this point, the emptying out of all the stuff, arranging the pile, crawling in & back out, handing tools back and forth, and then reversing the process, takes 3 or 4 times as long as the adjustment itself.