08 December 2009

Nollaig Shona!

My musical tastes are, well, eclectic at best. Growing up in the early- to mid-60s left me with a love of '60s rock'n'roll, folk, and several other forms including the classical and Broadway music that my mother loved. I've expanded my horizons through the following decades, and like a bit of everything. In terms of orchestral Christmas music, I tend to dig out Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops.

I also love many old English carols, but have discovered a deep and abiding love for the music of my ancestors from Ireland and Scotland. Last night I was listening to a mix of Christmas music including many traditional favorites, but also including The Wexford Carol, Cornphiopa Ciorcalach, Circle of Joy, Sior-Uaine, Soillse Na Nollag, Ga Greine, and An Driochead.

I suspect I have a reader or two who will recognize many of these. If so, here's a treat for you:



6 comments:

Meadow said...

Bless you! Music that will "mend the raveled sleeve of care".

Thank you :)

joated said...

One of the best groups around. I just turned the sound up and played it for my wife who is sitting in the other room. She recognized it as Celtic Women immediately.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, Terry want's to know if you've heard of Celtic Thunder.

I'm of Scots-Irish/Dutch ancestory while my better half is Polish/Slav.

Rev. Paul said...

I'm familiar with Celtic Thunder, but haven't listened to them lately. I will remedy that.

Jenny said...

Oh, that's beautiful! Thank you for bringing them up. :)

I love the whistle in that piece!

joated said...

Shoot! I didn't mean for you to replace the Wexford Carol and the Celtic Women with the Thunder. I like 'em both!

Rev. Paul said...

Your wish is my command: both videos now posted.