07 November 2020

Not The Best Weekend

 We, along with the rest of southcentral Alaska, were awakened around 0330 by a series of earthquakes, beginning with a 5.1-magnitude shaker centered about 40 miles away. There have been well over 30 aftershocks since then, but only a few over 4.0. 

The weather forecast calls for up to 9" of snow, with rain squalls during the storm.

Squalls, you ask? Yes, the snow front will be ushered in by 45 mph winds, gusting to 75 mph, overnight. 

And have I mentioned that there was a dense fog this morning?


Verily, 'tis a great day for staying indoors.

7 comments:

Suz said...

Ok, so this update is not conducive to being used in the next Alaskan tourism brochure...just saying...

drjim said...

We've got a cold front coming through with wind, rain, and some snow expected. No accumulation, but it's going down to 20 tonight, with highs in the 40's next week.

Vicki said...

Whenever I feel like complaining about conditions here in Minnesota, I think about you and yours. We may have an occasional tornado, but we don't have to deal with earthquakes. Stay safe.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Hope you are all safe Reverend. Any risk of damage like you had in the last big quake?

Rev. Paul said...

Suz, I guarantee you it won't be mentioned in any brochures, except perhaps a very, very vague reference to Alaskan winters.

drjim, it remains to be seen how much accumulation we'll actually receive; I'm not going to be surprised either way.

Vicki, Minnesota tends to get a lot more snow than we do. I'll grant you the earthquakes are an eye-opener for new residents, though.

TB, we're fine. A 5.1 'quake only makes the house wiggle a bit. We have the strongest earthquake building code in the country; California should be so lucky.

Old NFO said...

Glad y'all are okay! Quakes are NOT a lot of fun.

Rev. Paul said...

NFO, 5-point-whatever temblors have never bothered me, prior to the 7.1 from two years ago. Now I find myself almost holding my breath, waiting to see if they're going to get stronger, or taper off. I'm not happy about my response, but it appears to be baked in, right now. It'll probably fade, given time. On the other hand, I know folks who were here for the 9.2 in '64, and they still panic with any shaking strong enough to be felt.