01 September 2009

Here, At Last

I mentioned in a previous post that I had ordered a modest quantity of ammo (250 rounds) from AmmunitionToGo. It was an online procedure; the website quoted a shipping rate and approximate delivery date.

The price per round, including shipping, was well under half what it would cost to purchase locally, so I gladly made the purchase. The next day, I received an e-mail from their customer service department, explaining that they couldn't ship it their regular way. I approved shipment via UPS, provided a business address here, and that was that, or so I thought.

On the third day, I received another e-mail, explaining that they couldn't ship to Alaska at all. At this point, I could have gotten angry, because their website didn't mention that bit. But my anger would have accomplished nothing, and I'd still be without ammo. Therefore, I gave them the address for my oldest friend in Missouri, which they happily accepted.

I contacted my buddy & told him what was up. He owns an appliance store, and is familiar with common shipping methods. No problem, right? He talked to the Post Office; they refused to accept a shipment of ammo. More on that, later.

He checked with FedEx; they won't ship except to a licensed dealer. He checked with a friend in the air freight business; they had no problem shipping the ammo, as long as it was 400 pounds or more.

He spoke with a couple of other folks, and nothing else would work, either. He finally managed to get in touch with the guy from his local gun shop, who had been traveling.

The gun store guy said the postman was "full of (redacted)" and that he ships ammo every day. So they took the stuff to the post office on Thursday or Friday, and sent it "priority mail".

The ammo showed up yesterday afternoon, in only a couple of days' time. Even though I wound up paying shipping charges on the box twice, it's still cheaper than what I was able to find locally - and now a trip to the range is in order. Yay!

I promised I would publish his name if everything worked out, so my thanks go to Tim at Pacific Guns and Archery, 103 Metrocom Drive, Pacific, MO 63069. He shipped the box to me at actual cost, but could have charged more.

I'm a happy camper.

5 comments:

ajdshootist said...

Prvi Partizan is quite good ammo i use their 6.5x55 in my M38 Swedish and it shoots very well.

Anonymous said...

You just didn't order enough. Next time double the order. (Yuk-Yuk)
YeOldFurt

joated said...

I really do not understand this "Can't ship to Alaska" BS. Okay, so maybe it would cost a bit more because it would have to go by either plane, or boat, or via Canada, but Alaska is part of the USA last I checked.

Glad to hear you figured a way around the red tape, but couldn't the original seller have use the Post Office to send the stuff directly to you?

Rev. Paul said...

Joated: the ammo cannot enter Canada due to their laws, so it would have to fly. UPS won't fly ammo, so that was the end of that.

It's possible that the seller might have been able to mail the ammo to me, if I had known what I know now.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

DR said...

I can't believe you had to go through all of that just for some ammo. Well worth it though. I can't believe the post office even tried that.